Wednesday, December 16, 2009

And we will drive these warlords out.


The other day I was listening to Gasoline Heart's first album, You Know Who You Are at work, and it brought back great memories of riding a bike in East Atlanta and made me long for the city and warm weather.

It's been snowing, below zero degrees, and although I'm enjoying this Alaskan winter, I'm looking forward to moving to Minneapolis this coming February.

Looking forward to the springtime, the city, and plenty of music.

I miss being able to see the bands I listen to everyday, like I did when I was in Atlanta, and I'm hoping to do plenty of that when I move.

Once, I rode bikes with some friends to a Ghost Mice show at this cool art space called Wonder Root in Atlanta, sometime around my birthday this last March.
I walked in the door, happy to see my friends Chris Johnston and Eric Ayotte, who I'd met on an aforementioned trip to Gainesville, who welcomed me with warm smiles and hugs.

It was a great night, and I was pleased to catch one of the opening bands, Atlanta's own The Wild. The burst of folk-punk joy coming from these 4 kids was not much different stylistically than Ghost Mice, apart from the added drumkit and extra pair of voices, and they played with such solid confidence, bravado and stamina, you'd have figured they were co-headlining.

One of the things I loved about this band was the lyrics, which were decidedly upbeat, clear, and sung with a big smile. I got a 7" from them, which came on brown vinyl that boasts great renditions of the songs I heard that night, which play like most feelgood basement anthems: full of cheer, acoustic guitar, and the combined voices of girls and boys singing about staying positive in a sad world.

Here's a snippet:

"Well the answers are still blowin' in the wind, despite all the efforts of politicians. But no breeze will ever loosen our grip, we'll rise our fist with a grin! 'Cause who wouldn't die for their best friend? We'll wipe the sweat from our brow, and we'll drive these warlords out".

By the time I write this, the second pressing of said 7" will probably already be sold out, because these are the kinds of songs you want to listen to over and over until you know all the words. Based on the solid performance I saw and their great attitude, these boys and girls should be going places.

Good places.

http://www.myspace.com/thewildatl

No comments:

Post a Comment